The Camouflage Print Trend for Men
This season saw the emergence of bold patterns and prints in menswear, with plenty of designers choosing camouflage as a key theme in their collection. Lots of men tend to be put off by camouflage thinking that it’s a print best suited in a game of paintball, but the truth is, when it’s worn in the right way, camouflage can look effortless on any guy.
Why should men wear camouflage?
Some men are deterred by camouflage because they think that it’s difficult to pair with other items of clothing. But the reality is, camouflage can be worn with many things. In fact, a camouflage tie can be a great addition to one’s work wardrobe since it makes a subtle statement. Also, when a man wears camouflage, it is often a pleasant sartorial surprise because it’s vastly different to common prints like houndstooth and tartan.
How to Wear Camouflage Print Trend for Men: 6 Rules
If you’re interested in trying out the camouflage trend, remember these few points:
- Stick to one type of camouflage print – Camouflage print comes in different types, from the classic green-hued army camouflage, to more experimental prints like camouflage with floral images or animal prints. Whatever print you choose, just wear one of it. Don’t wear or mix different camouflage prints since it can create an incoherent outfit.
- Star with small doses – If you just want a bit of camouflage influence in your wardrobe, look for accessories, like scarves, ties and belts that have a camouflage print. Watches can also come in the print, like this watch from Adidas. This Paul Smith wallet also makes a subtle statement with its unique print.
- Don’t mix camouflage with other prints – Unless you know what you’re doing, stay away from wearing other prints of patters when you wear camouflage.
- Begin with dark hues – If you’re worried that wearing camouflage will do more harm than good, start off by wearing it with dark pieces as this will help tone down the print. If you wear bold and bright colours with camouflage, it will only attract more attention to the print. Once you’ve grasped different ways to wear the trend, you can pair it with lighter tones, like white or grey.
- Experiment with different camouflage prints – Some people like camouflage prints that are loud and obvious, but if you prefer a more subtle look, choose camouflage pieces that are darker – that it, the different tones within the camouflage should be similar. If you choose loud camouflage pieces with orange and green (like this piece from Givenchy), prepare to get some attention. This can work well for certain individuals people, but if you prefer to your outfit to do the talking, choose pieces like this jacket from Acne Studios.
- Stay simple – If you’re a man who has never tried wearing camouflage, stick to simple pieces like a shirt or pants with the print. The key is to wear the camouflage as a statement piece, so pair it with plain pieces, like a navy jacket, white shirt and plain shoes.
How to Wear the Trend: Men’s Camouflage Lookbook
Throughout the runways this season, we noticed camouflage is best done in either small doses – for example, with small accessories – or done over-the-top with a statement jacket with a bright camouflage print. Here are some runway and streetwear looks which show how camouflage can be be worn in different styles on men.
How to Wear Camouflage: Key menswear pieces this season
Here are our favourite menswear pieces this season which encapsulate the camouflage print. We chose these pieces because they can be easily worn with other items in a man’s wardrobe.
Golden Goose Camouflage Slide Sneakers
Golden Goose has always done distressed luxury with great flair and these grungy camouflage sneakers exemplify the brand’s aesthetics. The waxing, scratching, and deliberate folding of these sneakers give it a worn look and one-of-a-kind character.
Acne Studios Green Hooded Hoodie for Men
If you’re looking for a subtle injection of camouflage – this long sleeve blotch-print hooded jacket from Acne Studios is it. With practical zip closures and waterproof fabric, this is the jacket to take you from the morning to night.
Nanamica Blue Camouflage Shirt
A quality chambray shirt is a wardrobe staple for warmer weather, and this offering from Nanamica is the perfect example. With its blue and grey camouflage, it’s puts a nice twist on a classic cotton shirt. It looks sharp alone and for layering when you want to inject some pattern into your outfit.
Paul Smith Camo Slim Folio Briefcase
We like how this Paul Smith leather briefcase has chosen a darker camouflage print for a masculine look. The sizing is generous, measuring 12″ by 16″ which would fit all your work documents. The zip top opens to a main compartment with two pockets on opposite walls and a handy leather card pocket. It looks smart enough to bring to a casual workplace and is perfect for the weekend.
MSGM Camouflage Summer Blazer
For the fashionistos who are looking to upgrade their Summer wardrobe, we love this camouflage blazer from MSGM. Featuring classic lapels, long sleeves and a a front button fastening, this can be work casually with white pants or paired with darker pants and a collared shirt for a semi-forma affair.
Valentino Camouflage Leather and Canvas Sneakers
Statement sneakers don’t get any better than this. This leather and canvas low-cut sneaker from Italian fashion powerhouse Valentino the ‘it’ sneaker as seen on the latest catwalk. There are lots of copycat sneakers out there that try to emulate its print and look, but the real thing seals the deal for us with its pop of orange suede trips and subtle studs.
Valentino Camo/Floral Sweater for Men
Valentino has embraced the camouflage trend with this cotton-jersey crew-neck sweatshirt. We love the subtle floral print that give a refined aesthetic to the piece, making it a great addition for a man of any age. Pair it with a white shirt and jeans (like above) and it’s the perfect late Summer night outfit.
Master-piece Surpass Leather-Trimmed Camouflage Nylon Tote Bag
The resilient camouflage nylon is trimmed with leather and features useful zipped pockets to form a complete utilitarian package. Pack it with your tablet and city essentials to face a busy day with flair.
Givenchy Contrast Stripe Camouflage Sweater
Givenchy creative director Riccardo Tisci infuses classic camouflage print with his signature edge in this contrast stripe sweater. Crafted from soft cotton, it features three contrasting camouflage prints stacked horizontally in block stripes. Layer over a white tee and black pants for an effortless head-to-toe cool.