This year, the short quiff hairstyle has evolved from being a runway haircut seen on male models to the trending haircut. Perhaps its the enduring appeal of shows like Mad Men, but it seems men’s hairstyle trends for 2013 are focused on a refined look, channeling a modern urban gentleman.
Of course, as with all hairstyle trends, the key thing men should figure out is whether it’s suitable for them. Whilst ad campaigns and catwalks show men with quiffs that are very slicked, side-parted and immaculately combed, this might not work for the everyday man – especially those with thinning hair or with high hairlines. Luckily, the quiff is also very adaptable, meaning men with different types of hair and face shape can take what they need and make it work for them.The short quiff in particular is an easy hairstyle to pull off and doesn’t take too much effort to maintain.
The Short Quiff Hairstyle for Men in 2013
In 2013, the focus of the short quiff is on length and texture. The key attributes of this hairstyle are below. These are things to look out for when your hairstylist cuts your short quiff.
- The short quiff requires more hair on the top than the sides and back. The key to a good short quiff hairstyle is to strike a balance between the volume at the top and the shortness on the side and back.
- When there are no products in the hair, the fringe should sit slightly above the eyebrows. At the end of the eyebrows, the hair should come down as you want volume when it’s styled up.
- The short quiff hairstyle demands the sides and back of your hair be cut short. Whether they are clipped or shaved depends entirely on your desires – it’s best to discuss this with your hairstylist because they’ll know what works for you.
- If you wear glasses, make sure that hair above the ears (or where your glasses sit) are cut particularly short. Hair in these areas grow fast so to keep your hairstyle as long lasting as possible, attention to detail is important.
- Side parting is also a key trend in this year’s take on the short quiff. If you want to try it out, make sure you side part from one side only. Don’t side part from the left one day and right the next day because your short quiff is styled to look look best when parted from one particular side.
Short Quiff Hairstyle Gallery 2013
The best thing to do when seeing a hairstylist is to bring photos of hairstyles you like to them so they can visually see what you want. Here are some photos of the short quiff to print out (ideally in colour) to show your hairstylist what you’re looking for. Click on the individual images to enlarge.
Short Quiff Hairstyling Products
The best thing about the short quiff is that it’s easy to maintain. Not a lot of products are needed either since the styling is concentrated on the hair at the top. Because the quiff is short, drying the hair will be quick and on average it should take less than 5 minutes to apply your products. There are two basic ways to style your short quiff: you can go for a side part or without a side part.
Short Quiff Hairstyle – no side part
For this version of the short quiff, choose clay or medium-hold hair products since this gives you a more relaxed look.
- Take some product in in your fingers and move it around in your fingers and palm to get it warm.
- Using your fingers, comb your hair into shape. You want to show your forehead, so start off by combing upwards.
- One your hair is up, flatten it slightly to your taste using your palm. For office environments, it’s best to keep your quiff more low key and flatten your hair helps.
- Use your fingers to add some texture to your quiff. You can lightly jab your hair to change up the volume of it.
- Once your happy with the look, use some hair spray to hold it in place.
Hairstyle products to use include:
Short Quiff Hairstyle – with side part
For a short quiff with a side part, you use a stronger hold gel or foam to keep your side part in place. You want the side part to be obvious, so spend some time perfecting this. To get the look, follow the above steps 1 -3, then try the following:
- To highlight your side part, use your fingers to press down on the roots of the hair.
- Once you’ve set your short quiff in place, you can use hair spay. You can skip this step if your hair styling product is strong hold.
READ MORE men’s hairstyle trends posts on HommeStyler.